Saturday, November 17, 2007

Week 9: #21 Podcasts

Once found, you can easily pull the RSS feed into your Bloglines account as well, so that when new casts become available you'll be automatically notified of their existence.
Discovery Resources:
Wikipedia explains the history of the podcast.
There are many, many podcast directories and finding tools out there. Here are just three of the more popular ones that, unlike iTunes, don't require a software download: Podcast.net, Podcastalley.com, and Yahoo podcasts.
What? You want to learn how to be a podcaster too? (Optional resources for those who want to learn to create podcasts)
Publish a podcast on Blogger
Odeo's online recording studio
Tutorial on how to podcast


Discovery Exercise:
Take a look at one or two of the podcast directories listed and see if you can find a podcast that interests you. See if you can find some interesting library related podcasts here like book review podcasts or library news.
Add the RSS feed for a podcast to your Bloglines account.
Create a blog post about your discovery process. Did you find anything useful here?




I asked my husband for an ipod for Christmas several years ago. At first, I thought that I would use it only for music. Then I began to learning about all the neat applications it was able to do. I first learned of podcasting on the SirsiDynix Institute Event Archive. http://www.sirsidynixinstitute.com/podcast.php

Since then, I have been to my iTunes account and have discovered a new world.

I idolize NPR for the free thinking environment that they provide. Therefore, it is on of my top recommendations for sites to search. http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php
I was not awarethat there are video podcasts. Pretty cool! There seem to be several sites. Here is an example of one. http://www.imakethings.com/

No comments: