Thursday, October 4, 2007

Week 4: #9 Finding Feeds




Old Radio by Night

Originally uploaded by Lymf




(I love NPR and now I can keep up with all my favorite shows)
According to ihcpl there are several ways to look for feeds.

  • Look for newsfeed icons that indicate the website provides it. Often a feed icon will be displayed somewhere in the navigation bar of the site.

  • Use Bloglines search tool -- Bloglines' search tool lets you search for newsfeeds, posts, citations and the web. Use the "Search for Feeds" option to locate RSS feeds you might find interesting.

  • Other search tools that can help you find feeds: Feedster (one of the largest collections of news, blogs and podcasts), Topix (news and media outlet feeds), Syndic8 (open directory of feeds submitted by users) and Technorati (a popular blog finding tool).

Discovery Exercise:
Explore a few of the search tools located above that can help you locate newsfeeds.
Create a blog post about the experience. Don't know what to blog about? Here are some questions to get you started...Which method of finding feeds was the easiest for you to use? Which search tool was the easiest to use and which the most confusing? What kind of useful feeds did you find in your travels? Or what kind of unusual ones did you find? What other tools or ways did you find to locate newsfeeds?

I looked at all of these and they all worked very well. Do I think that I will use them? Actually, I don't.

I found more than enough links, "feeds" on my own. I don't want this project to become something that I am not able to manage. I think that it's important to pick and choose sites wisely. Therefore, it will become a tool that will benefit my life and not a nuance.

How did I find sites? Mainly, I went to websites that I value, but normally do not have time to enjoy. I am hoping that Rss feeds will help me manage my time, and allow me to read the information that interest me.

No comments: